A “Green oasis” out of the trash.

Just a few days ago was opened in Rio de Janeiro the “Sitié”, a former landfill located in the favela Vidigal which has been transformed in an ecologic park. This park has an spectacular view of the sea and the beautiful landscapes of Rio de Janeiro.
This project has been created by a number of volunteers; they are working on it for about six years. This initiative entered in the ONU program about sustainable development, from June 18 this year all foreign delegations could visit this creation that to come out of the trash and is the work of a number of people.
This process consists to perform a cleanup of the area with the implantation of trees and flowers in different places of the favela. One part of this park has been arranged for children to learn gardening
This favela was characterized in Rio de Janeiro because there there is one of the biggest dump in this city. The founder of “Sitié”, Mauro Quintanilha, note that this area was converted into a dump because this was a secluded place, for this reason people started to take their garbage there and thinks that they want to undo.
So that a lot of people used this thinks, useless for some people, to create art. For example the case of a marble craftsman 58 years old that was dedicated to use crystal of the bottles to decorate park benches.
These volunteers become artists; their objective is to use garbage to decorate this place. It isn’t important if it is garbage, the importance is recycle and achieve a richness that comes from the trash.
This part of the favela decided to be evicted because the garbage was very abundant, there aren’t any public service or collection of garbage, as in many others favelas of Rio de Janeiro. The garbage was coming to the vicinity of the Niemever Avenue, which is along the cost.
The cleanup work was carried out for 20 urns volunteers during one year and all that was recoverable or recyclable it was.
The founder of “Sitié”, Mauro Quintanilha, acknowledges that it has been hard to convince people that this site isn’t a dump now a day, have conducted briefings to inform and awareness people. This action was very effective because people today help volunteers to reform the place.
Is important to know that these type of problems are abundant in these places because most people do not recycle, only 26% of the population recycle. Although 86% of the population is aware that it is important to do and duty of all.

Tensions between Eritrea and Ethiopia

By Larissa Duarte, Eduardo García,  Juan Manuel Pérez, Blanca Ribas y Patricia Vlaicu.

Flags of Eritrea and Ethiopia

Ethiopia attacks Eritrea clamming that the Eritrean government was involved with the terrorist group who attacked and killed five European tourists in the Ethiopian territory earlier this year.

After the killing of two Germans, two Austrians and one Hungarian that were visiting Ethiopia’s famed Erta Ale volcano in Afar, the tensions between the countries, that already fought a war from 1998 till 2000, were reignited.Shimeles Kemal, the government spokesman, said that it wasn’t likely to begin a war between the countries because Ethiopia was committed to peaceful negotiations. But he also warns that they would have similar measures if the attacks against Ethiopia continue to happen. If Eritrean forces retaliated, he says that there would be disastrous results.Ethiopia attacked the settlements used by the rebels inside of Eritrea borders. It was the first attack since the end of the 1998-2000 war. The locations that were attacked are Ramid, Gelehbe and Gimbi – 18km, 16km, and 14km, respectively, inside southeastern Eritrea.

Eritrea fought for independence for 30 years and finally won it in 1993. In 1998 they started a war for the stablishment of the borders, this war last until 2000. It was to decide to whom the territory of Badme belonged. At the end it was decided that the territory belongs to Eritrea but is still occupied by Ethiopia.

Until today the borders between Eritrea and Ethiopia is one of the most heavily armed in the world. There are large troops on each side and any tension or incursion from side to side is considered very combustible.

Maps of the area of Ethiopia and Eritrea

But the attacks are not only in the southwest bases on Eritrea. The Ethiopian troops also cross the border to Somalia for the same reason. The search and capture of terrorist group at the origin of five tourists the death.

Meanwhile, Paris and Washington – that have a base in the region, Djibouti – had pleaded for restraint. And the U.S. had added that he asked for “clarification” to their Ethiopian allies “about its intentions.”

At Friday Eritrea ask the United Nation Security Council to take appropriate measures to rectify the acts of aggression against the Eritrean sovereignty. They said that they wouldn’t be pressed by the military incursion. “What we are saying is that we will not sit idle and watch Eritrea challenge our sovereignty and our development efforts,” foreign ministry spokesman Dina Mufti told Reuters.

Etíopes troops performed two more attacked to the country rebels this Saturday, the day after Eritrea urge for an answer from the Organization of United Nations to the neighbor country about the previous attack.

“We’ve carried out further attacks on targets inside Eritrea. This time it’s in the north section around Badme,” a senior Ethiopian government official told Reuters on Saturday.

Sudán del Sur nuevo miembro de la ONU

Tras su independencia oficial el pasado sábado 9 de julio, y habiendo establecido ya su capital en Yuda, Sudán del Sur ha sido reconocido como un miembro más dentro de la ONU tras la aceptación de la Asamblea General, convitiéndose en el número 193 de la organización.

“Declaro a Sudán del Sur miembro de Naciones Unidas”, con estas palabras declaró Joseph Deiss, presidente de la Asamblea General, la incorporación del país en la ONU.

Salva Kiir Mayardit, presidente de Sudán del Sur, envió una carta el 9 de julio a la ONU pidiendo ser país miembro de ésta, con todos los derechos que le correspoderían por ello.El Consejo de Seguridad de la ONU ha dado su visto bueno para después haber sido votado por la Asamblea General. Esto se ha logrado gracias a un referéndum realizado en enero pasado en el que el 98% de la población estaba de acuerdo con la independencia del sur de Sudán como país independiente.

Leer más de esta entrada

El coltán: el nuevo diamante de sangre

Por Julen Harneis

El gobierno de la República Democrática del Congo firmó el 24 de enero de 2008 un acuerdo de paz con una centena de grupos guerrilleros para así poner fin a un conflicto que duraba más de veinte años. No obstante, varias guerrillas importantes se negaron a su ratificación y siguen actuando en las regiones de Kivu e Ituri.

Uno de los motivos principales que mueve a estos grupos armados es la explotación de los recursos naturales de la región entre los que destacan el oro y el coltán.

La columbita y la tantalita forman el coltán, un mineral estratégico necesario para el desarrollo de las nuevas tecnologías como teléfonos móviles, ordenadores, televisores de plasma, video consolas, GPS y satélites. La República Democrática del Congo posee el 80% de los recursos mundiales de este mineral y esto ha contribuido al choque militar ya que muchas guerrillas lo utilizan para autofinanciarse tal y como ocurriera en Angola y Sierra Leona con los denominados “diamantes de sangre”. Leer más de esta entrada

Novedades en el problema FARC

La FARC (Fuerzas Armadas Revolucionarias de Colombia) cuenta con un miembro menos entre sus filas, todo gracias al ejército de Colombia, que ha abatido a uno de sus miembros más importantes y cabecillas en combate. El “caído en combate” se llamaba Luis Fernando Méndez López, alias ‘Didier’, y ocupaba la posición de cuarto cabecilla del frente 21 de la FARC. En esa guerrilla, también ostentaba el puesto de miembro del anillo de seguridad del líder, Guillermo León Sáenz, alias ‘Alfonso Cano’.

Méndez López cayó en combate durante el transcurso de los enfrentamientos de la Sexta Brigada del Ejército y subversivos de las FARC en el área del Cañón de las Hermosas, situadas hacia el centro-oeste de Colombia.

Poco han tardado en alzarse voces respecto a esta noticia. El comandante de la Quinta División del Ejército, general Juan Pablo Rodríguez, ha declarado definiendo este hecho como “de gran importancia”, pues al ser “Didier” uno de los bucles principales de la FARC (recordemos formaba parte del Bloque Central de la FARC y de los anillos de seguridad de “Alonso Cano”) la organización se encuentra ahora un poco más débil. Además de Menéndez  López también han fallecido dos rebeldes no identificados.

Leer más de esta entrada

La ONU “olvida” el conflicto de Gaza

Conflicto de GazaAmnistía Internacional (AI) ha denunciado la “pasividad internacional” y la inacción del Consejo de Derechos Humanos de Naciones Unidas respecto a las víctimas del conflicto de finales de 2008 y principios de 2009 en la Franja de Gaza y en el sur de Israel.

Por ello, la organización de Derechos Humanos ha instado al Consejo a que, en su próximo periodo de sesiones de marzo de 2011, apruebe una “firme resolución” que condene las “deficiencias” de las investigaciones llevadas a cabo por las autoridades palestinas e israelíes y plantee la remisión del caso al Tribunal Penal Internacional (TPI) y a la Asamblea General de la ONU.

En la anterior sesion, en el mes septiembre de 2010, “y pese a la existencia de pruebas claras sobre lo inadecuado de las investigaciones, acabaron imponiéndose criterios políticos, y el Consejo adoptó una resolución gravemente viciada que no establecía un proceso claro para impartir justicia”, lamentó Amnistia Internacional en un comunicado, con motivo del segundo aniversario del conflicto.

Y es que una vez más el consejo de derechos humanos de Naciones Unidas parece optar por la pasividad, como se puede apreciar en algunas de sus declaraciones: “Algunos miembros del Consejo de Derechos Humanos alegaron que, al procurar justicia para las víctimas del conflicto de Gaza, se pondrían en peligro las posibles negociaciones entre Israel y la Autoridad Nacional Palestina”, añadió. Leer más de esta entrada

Terra di confine

Una risoluzione contro la colonizzazione israeliana nei territori palestinesi occupati sarà deposta dal Libano, portavoce dei paesi arabi al Consiglio di sicurezza dell’ONU.

La Palestina intende affidarsi al mondo intero per bloccare la colonizzazione delle zone occupate dallo stato ebraico in seguito alla Guerra dei sei giorni, inclusa Gerusalemme Est, e lo farebbe, per una volta, nel modo più indicato in questi casi: attraverso l’uso dei cavi diplomatici, nella fattispecie durante il prossimo Consiglio delle Nazioni Unite.

Il famigerato testo in questione circola dal 21 Dicembre scorso e potrebbe essere votato nei prossimi giorni in quanto i Palestinesi, che godono dello status di osservatore nel Consiglio, sperano di approfittare del dibattito mensile riguardo alle questioni mediorientali per sottomettere la risoluzione al voto.

Il possibile inconveniente potrebbe venire dagli Stati Uniti, che assieme a Gran Bretagna, Francia, Russia e Cina, in quanto membro permanente dell’organizzazione gode di diritto di veto. Leer más de esta entrada